The particular model of development that the island has undergone, with sustained economic growth, and with clear protection and conservation of nature and the environment, has served to ensure the award of several recognitions for its sustainability
If you are looking for an active holiday, Lanzarote is the perfect place. The island has been declared a Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO, thanks to the perfect symbiosis achieved between man and nature. This means that you will be able to do a multitude of outdoor activities while enjoying its incredible natural views.
However, this title highlights the responsibility of the island’s inhabitants and visitors to conserve, respect and take actions compatible with the conservation of its natural resources. Indeed, in order to protect these resources and the beauty of the island, it is important that conservation guidelines are followed. Thanks to the efforts of the Government of Lanzarote and its citizens, the island has become an environmentally friendly tourist destination.
Discover the best adventure sports in Lanzarote
Sport has become one of the island’s main attractions thanks to the magnificent weather conditions it enjoys all year round. However, it’s also thanks to the spectacular landscapes on offer over its 845.93 km2 and the regular celebration of major sporting events. Together these make the island a benchmark for both professional and amateur sportsmen and women.
With a multitude of trails and routes to explore, hiking and cycling are two of the most popular activities on the island. Lanzarote is also an ideal place for water sports such as windsurfing, sailing and swimming. The waves here are perfect for these types of sports, and the scenery is simply breathtaking.
Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced athlete, you’ll find just what you need on Lanzarote’s beaches. Of course, if you’re looking for a rewarding break after a full exploration of nature, the island’s stunning beaches are also the perfect place to relax.
Environmental plan for sports in Lanzarote
The increase in the number of people practising sports on the island, both local and foreign, has made it necessary to develop an environmental sustainability plan. The aim is to make athletes and sports event promoters aware of the fragility of the environment and encourage them to participate in its conservation.
The creation of projects, such as the Sports Social Responsibility project, is part of the strategy of European Sports Destination – Turismo Lanzarote‘s brand. Through informative workshops given by experts in the field, the action plan encourages the commitment of event promoters to environmental issues and all that this implies, always in the interests of caring for and preserving the environment.
This project reminds event promoters of the importance of:
- Ensuring that every event complies with all current environmental requirements and regulations.
- Facilitating the separation of waste for participants, removing all rubbish that originates during the event and taking it to the place indicated by the authorities.
- Promoting energy and water saving, as well as the use of reusable containers such as refillable bottles, cloth bags, wooden cutlery, etc.
- Warning participants during the event briefing that they must not disturb the animals or leave the circuit marked out by the organisers.
- Organising clean-up crews to leave the entire environment as it was before the event without affecting the landscape.
For example, IRONMAN Lanzarote and the Lanzarote International Marathon both collaborate with the island’s public institutions to ensure environmental sustainability during the events.
It is essential that athletes not only understand the importance of environmental conservation and environmental laws, but that they act accordingly both during events and on training days.
Similarly, if you are an athlete, you can also contribute by:
- Putting all your waste in a bin. If there isn’t one, carrying it in your backpack or in your hand until you find a bin is the best option.
- Avoiding routes through sensitive ecosystems and not taking shortcuts in nature or through crops, whether on foot or by bicycle.
- Preventing water waste, purchasing only necessary equipment and dispensing with single-use plastics and disposable materials.
- Fixing punctures and avoiding skidding by using environmentally friendly glues if you are cycling.
Sport not only has many benefits for your health – it’s also a fundamental tool for promoting and supporting sustainable development. Lanzarote has already developed a strong tourism industry based on sustainable principles and the island has shown it is possible to protect its natural resources while welcoming tourists and lovers of water sports and adventure activities.
The best way to bring your experience of outdoor sport to a fantastic finish in a paradise like Lanzarote is to do it without leaving a footprint behind you. Changing our behaviour is crucial for the sustainability of our planet!